Become a Licensed Driver

Time Trials

Just as you need a license to drive a road car, you will need a license to drive on the track.  Here are a few things you must have to get started:

Driver Equipment

  • Nomex firesuit/gloves
  • Nomex socks
  • Leather or fireproof shoes
  • SA Rated helmet
  • Arm Restraints (not needed if a window net is used in the car)
  • Head and Neck restraints (recommended)

Minimum Car Safety Equipment

  • Minimum 4 point roll bar which meets TT Rules
  • 5 or 6 point safety harness installed per GCR
  • Fire extinguisher or other approved fire suppression system
  • Window net installed per GCR or arm restraints
  • SCCA TT Logbook (issued by Regional Scrutineer)

In Summary

Once you have all of this together you are ready to get started!  To obtain your license, here is what to do:

1) If you are not an SCCA member, fill out the above membership form and e-mail it This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  It is recommended that you provide your payment via credit card because it is much faster this way.


2) Print and fill out the Novice Time Trial form from the above list.  This can be scanned and sent in to the same e-mail address along with your SCCA membership form and payment information.  If you are already an SCCA member, you will receive an updated membership card in the mail in a few weeks.


3) Print our the SCCA Medical Form.  For a Novice Time Trial Permit, you only have to fill out the third page labeled "Applicant's Medical History".  This is merely a questionnaire, but if you have any major medical issues you will most likely need to have the "Examination" form filled out as well by a doctor or nurse practitioner.  This will also need to be e-mailed to the above address as well.  **Note** When you get your full TT license, you will need to have a complete physical done.


4) Decide what class you want to run in.  There is a tab on the left called "Classes" that will cover some of the more popular classes that most people are running in SEDIV.  You can also visit the National SCCA website, and browse the GCR, which will also help you determine what class your car best fits.


5) Once you have arranged to get your license, and a car with all of the correct safety gear-you will need a log book!  You are issued one of these once your car is scrutinized by a division scrutineer.  Those can be had when you arrive at the track for your first event, but it's recommended that you have it done ahead of time in case you missed something important.  There is usually at least one annual tech day per year, but if you have a car that is prepared for a log book, you can send an e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we can see about getting your log book done ahead of time before your first event.


6) Now that you have a capable car, with a log book, and a novice license-you are ready to go racing!  It's important to note that you DO NOT need track experience to compete in Time Trials.  While it is recommended that you have some track time in some form of Motorsport-it is certainly not required.  There will be a talented group of experienced racers in attendance that will show you the ropes!  There was once a period of time when they were just like you and just getting started.  The ALSCCA is all about doing whatever we can to help you achieve success in this sport!


7) Once you have participated in two "flat track" event weekends successfully and without incident (such as Barber or TGPR) with a novice permit, you can have the Chief Instructor sign you off at the end of the event.  Then you can submit your permit to the SCCA National Office along with a fully completed physical examination form and payment for a full license ($35).  


Alternatively, you can participate in our annual April Time Trial School at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in Munford, AL.  Since this is a school weekend, you can get signed off by the chief instructor at the end of the weekend and send your form into SCCA along with a completed physical and fee and you will be a licensed TT driver.


Once you are a fully licensed TT driver, you will be able to compete at Level 4 events.  For the Southeast Region, these cover any and all Hill Climb events, Road Atlanta Speedway, and Atlanta Motorsports Park.  You will also want to check out the SEDIV Time Trial series championship rules which can be found here.


You can also find out more information by e-mailing our Time Trial chair, Mark Kilgore at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  and/or visiting the SEDIV Time Trial website. You can also head over to the forums, where several people frequent and will answer any questions you may have!